Smeatons Tower, Plymouth
Smeatons Tower is the original Eddystone Rock Light House, which was dismantled from the Eddystone and moved to the Hoe. The existing third of the tower can still be seen out at sea.
The works involved:
- Contract was to remove the old cementitious pointing from between the granite blocks of the old lighthouse tower both inside and out.
- The depointing works were carried out prior to the contract for the refurbishment of the tower to allow internal masonry to dry out .
- The pointing was carefully removed using a combination of very small chisels and diamond bladed angle grinders ensuring that damage did not occur to the historic granite stones.
- Large extractor fans were utilised to avoid build up of dust within the tower.
- Other works included the removal of the red and white paint to the external using the DOFF system.
Other work in
Small & Special Works
Smeatons Tower - Plymouth
- Download pdf