Four Millbank is a Grade II* listed building, constructed in 1916 and home to a number of political broadcasting companies. It occupies a prominent position in the heart of London’s parliamentary estate, a short walk from the House of Commons and Whitehall and its central location makes it ideal for broadcasters to cover news stories as they break.
Stonewest were appointed to carry out the refurbishment of the external envelope. Given the nature of the work undertaken, the project had to be meticulously planned. For example, the balcony from which well-known broadcasters present many of their reports had to be kept free of scaffolding as it was imperative to maintain a clear view of the parliamentary backdrop.
- Scaffolding erected across all elevations.
- Cleaned and repaired the Portland limestone, as well as the brick facades and embellishments.
- Repaired the roof, asphalt and rainwater goods.
- Carried out redecoration works to the classical facades.
- Replaced ACM cladding.
- All work undertaken was on Red Routes and within the area of the Parliamentary Estate with heightened security constraints.